Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chivalry and respect...a lost art.

Noah woke up this morning not feeling well and then disappointed because he didn't have a delay or a snow day. He went to school and they ended up coming home after an hour. The roads were getting worse and drifting and our county had a level 1 snow emergency. The school lost their phones and internet and were afraid of losing power too, so they sent the kids home. I was glad and so was Noah because his new cell phone, Alias 2, came today. So he spent the afternoon setting it up. It is a really cool phone. Dan and I got phones too. Not as cool as Noah's phone, but really nice ones. We are getting rid of our house phone and just having cells. I don't even know my number yet. The boys showed Dan all about his-how to get to the games, how to use the touchscreen, how to get to the texting, etc...a full "seminar".
Samuel had a bit of a meltdown because he doesn't have a cell phone. Dan and I told him that he was too young to have one. I think it is silly for kids to have them so young. No wonder kids are doing so poorly in English and Spelling. With texting they don't have to talk and with all of the shortened ways of spelling, they can't spell the right way. I so agree with my brother, kids and teens don't even know how to have a conversation anymore. There is no small talk, they can't even carry on a conversation for an extended amount of time. No wonder the divorce rate is so high in newly married couples. They text and e-mail for the entire time they date and then when they are married, they can't talk to each other.
This is one area that Dan and I have addressed with Noah. He is allowed to text his friends, but he has to talk and have conversations with us. Every once in a while, he will say "idk" and Dan will tell him that is not appropriate and he makes him say it again, the right way. When he asked a friend of his to go to homecoming, he was allowed to text her, but he also had to ask her and ask her dad, who happens to be our pastor;-) Dan is a real advocate for chivalry. He wants to teach our boys how to be godly men and respecting women. I am so proud of the father he is to our boys. When we go out as a family, we are always getting compliments for our boys. They hold doors open, help ladies with putting their bags in the car, they will play with kids they don't know and try and quiet them if they are crying. Both of them will make faces, and talk to them to try and calm them down, and it almost always works. Mothers often tell me at the grocery store that they appreciate the boys help. I understand how hard it is to shop and take care of an unhappy baby. I am thankful for a husband that is teaching our boys the lost "art" of respect.
Dan and I are starting a ministry at church for 4th-5th graders on Sunday nights. We are probably going to use the Keepers/Contenders books, as well as some others. Please pray that it goes well. This is Dan's first "teaching" position and he is a bit nervous. He was youth group leader at our other church and he taught the boys, but they were a bit older. He feels called to teach the chivalry/respect to the boys at our church. I am teaching the girls with my good friend Dawn H. It is really neat how God worked it out. I had never seen the Keepers/Contenders books. Dan and I sat down and made a list of all the things we wanted to teach and what hands-on things we wanted to do. When Dawn brought the books, she gave us each one to look at and I gave her the list. We both started laughing when we were looking over them because they were both the same. WOW! What a confirmation by God. I have a partner and several talented ladies to bring in and teach the girls some wonderful things. We will be hitting modesty, how to apply make-up to bring out the natural beauty, how to act like a lady, as well as keeping a home, sewing, cleaning, gardening, canning, etc. Dan doesn't have a partner yet, but we are praying that God will bring the right man beside Dan. He will be teaching respecting women, chivalry, manners and how to behave like men, car maintenance, woodworking, and tons of other things that young men should know. We will be memorizing scripture and doing Bible study with them. I ask that you pray that we will be able to do all that God has called us to do and that thru HIM this ministry will flourish.
I am trying to get thru one of the terrible headaches. It steadily worsened as Tuesday went on. By the time Dan was home, I needed to take some pain meds and go to bed. I probably should have went to the ER, but I just couldn't knowing what they would do to me. I am feeling a tad bit better, just can't sleep. I am hoping my last dose of meds will kick in and that I will be able to get some rest. I feel so useless when I get like this. I know that Satan is trying to discourage me and make me feel like this. I feel like a terrible wife and mother. The guilt sometimes is almost overwhelming. This too shall pass. My favorite verse has been on my mind today, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33. Looking for a brighter day tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh look out! You and Dawn let loose on the world?!
    Glad Noah got the phone and it was what he wanted...sounds like something I couldn't ever figure out how to use...
    Praying in Seattle!
    Romans 5:4-6 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete