Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where we are at

Since my last post, several things have happened. After being sent home from the ER, on Monday morning, I called my dr and they had scheduled me for a spinal tap late that morning, 11am. So, I went and had it done. I went by myself, my dad drove me to the hospital but waited in the waiting area. I have Noah's iPod and had it set to some worship music that I could concentrate on. The dr came in and with the nurse they were wonderful, which I love Dr H anyway. He has done several of my taps. He is also the one that was supposed to do one with my LP shunt and he called me the morning of and told me that I should probably have the specialized spinal tap because of the shunt and tubing in there. He said that he could probably do it, but his pride wasn't worth hitting the shunt or the catheter and causing more trouble. I appreciated the fact that he was able to say no, he didn't feel comfortable with doing it. He is always so great. He is very caring. If he hits a nerve, he stops and takes a break. If I am hurting and not numb enough, he gives another shot. He is the best anesthesilolgist I have ever had.

Anyway, back to the tap. I asked if I could play my music and use that as my focus. He said that would be great. I was listening to worship songs and doing ok with the procedure. Then, Dr H started having trouble because of scar tissue. He couldn't get the needle in place. About that time, the song "He Leadeth Me" came on. I was focusing on those words more than I ever had in my life. I have heard, read, or sung those words thousands of times, but they never hit me more that they did this particular day. Here are the words.

He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

Refrain:
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful foll’wer I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

Now the verse that really spoke to me~
Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

First of all I have to place my hand in His. Then we need to take what life gives us and not murmur or complain. We need to be content whatever our lot in life. And here is the best part Since 'tis MY GOD that leadeth me. He is my God. It is personal, it is intimate, it is right there and He is MINE! Isn't that just amazing!! I love the fact that He makes it so personal.

Now like I was saying, the dr was having trouble getting the needle in. When we got to this verse, when it came to the laset line "Since 'tis my God that leadeth me." the needle went right in and never popped back out, as they are prone to do sometimes. It was just another time God has shown me that even when I am having a spinal tap, an MRI, or any other test, He is there! He is mine to claim and He is there. I look at the part of my hand in His like a means of support as well as like a friend. Sometimes my husband will offer his hand if I need to walk up step or something. I think sometimes that is what God wants to be for us. Just that extra support to help us over hurdles that come in our life. He is there for us when things are a little more troublesome. And then I also see it as if 2 friends were walking, say on a beach. Just walking at the same pace, with one hand in the others. God is right there, just being a friend, but always ready to give us the support we need.

I have listened to this song many times since Monday. It was a terrible week. My opening pressure was just over 235(normal is 120-150). I am very sensitive to anything over 200. I then spent Tuesday night at the ER down at Mt Carmel hospital in Columbus. They gave me lots of meds and did a CT scan. I actually had a CT scan scheduled for Friday, but the ER dr said since I was there, they might as well do it. They had trouble with finding a vein for the IV. They had to do a deep vein stick. I have a terrible looking bruise because of it. I loved the drs at Mt Carmel. Both of them knew all about pseudotumor disease and knew what to do without me having to fight with them. I even had a 4th yr med student come in and ask if he could look in my eyes to see the optic nerves and what they look like when the pressure is high. He said the supervising dr told him to look at my eyes so he could see what someone with this rare disease looks like. I didn't mind the extra pain that he inflicted on me, because the more drs that know what it looks like, the more likely that patients will not have to wait years for a diagnosis. I know some that have had that happen and by the time someone gives the correct diagnosis, the paitent has permanently lost some vision. I tell myself, the more student drs and nurses that see this, the more awareness there will be.

I should've went to the ER on Saturday, but we were snowed in and had a level 3 snow emergency and no one was allowed on the roads. I am still hurting at a 9-10 level of pain. I am just loading up on meds. Today at 12:30, I am going in for a shuntogram. What it is~they will shave around the shunt and clean it. Then they insert a needle and take some spinal fluid off the brain. They then inject a dye into the shunt catheter and watch it drain and time how long it takes to drain. This test should tell us if the tubing is clogged or not. We are praying that we get some answers tomorrow. Dan and I have talked about it and decided that I can't go on living like this. I am not sleeping, having trouble eating, having some uncontrolled twitching, and with this pain, something has to be done. I feel like my shunt has quit. I guess I am just preparing myself incase that is what the problem is.

Didn't mean to write a book, just needed to vent a little and document some things.

3 comments:

  1. Praying your shuntogram went well this afternoon and that you get the answers you need to get through this next step, was praying, I see a neurosurgeon in 3 weeks to see what our next step is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such an amazing person. Angela! Who was singing the songs?
    Know that I'm always here praying!
    Hebrews 6:17-20 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your shunt study went well. I am having a few rough days as well.
    I chuckled when I read about the med student coming in to look at you. I have also ended up being a "guinea pig" for med students, trying out procedures, or looking at weird things going on in my body. (though, I have to admit the time they let a student attempt a spinal tap was not in the least pleasant, since she kept hitting the vertabrae, ugh)
    I have had you in my thoughts, and know the Lord blesses you with what you stand in need of. I pray that you have releif from your pain, and answers to your questions

    ReplyDelete